Weekly Wrap #5

The first week of May went off to a great start. I was finally able to enjoy a trail run with my friend who is training for the Ski to Sea relay event later this month. She will be doing the downhill running leg of the race, 8 miles down Mt Baker! Our PNW weather has remained fairly warm with a few rain showers mixed in, so I only went to the gym one day this week. Nice to be spending more time outdoors without getting wet!


SUNDAY: RAN 6.76 miles @8:32 pace
MONDAY: Rest
TUESDAY: RAN 7.41 miles @8:15 pace/walk .5 miles
WEDNESDAY: Rest (turned Massage Practitioner Program application in!)
THURSDAY: RAN 4.05 miles @8:02 pace
FRIDAY: Rest (Race Director meeting)
SATURDAY: RAN 3.2 miles @7:06 pace in Haggen to Haggen 5k!
Total weekly miles: 21.92

Tuesday was treadmill day which focused on interval speed work. I did a 1 mile warm up, 2 min@8mph/2min@7mph for 4 miles, then a short cool down, totaling 7.41 miles at an 8:15 pace. Wednesday was an exciting rest day because I turned in my application for the Massage Practitioner program at a local college. I can’t wait to hear back from the school, hopefully in the next few weeks! Thursday was sunny and temps were high up in the 70’s! My husband watched little Boo so I could head out for a 5k test run in our neighborhood (fairly hilly) followed by an easy run on the trails. My goal for the 5k was an average pace of 7:30/mi which is fairly fast for me. I totally spaced out and forgot to use my inhaler before the run, so that took a toll on my breathing. My trial time was 24:29 (7:38 pace) and that got me feeling confident for the race on Saturday! 

5k test run!
Friday was another rest day and included a meeting for the Chuckanut Footrace. I met with the two other Race Directors to divvy up our duties, go over what's already completed, and figure out some tricky logistics. This is the first time for me to be a RD and the learning experience so far has my mind blown.  With all of the race I've ran before, why did I never stop to think about the extensive process people went through to organize it? So many people coming together to volunteer their personal time, acquire city/county/state/special event permits, making sure runners are safe with certified flaggers and police officers, all while creating a fun and memorable experience! 

Saturday was the Haggen to Haggen 5k which is hosted by the Greater Bellingham Running Club. My goal had been to finish with an average of 7:30min/mi pace or faster, and I did it...WAY faster! I managed to cut 2:08 off of my previous 5k PR and finish with a clock time of 22:00, which comes out to a 7:06 pace! I was seriously in shock when I was sprinting towards the finish line and was close enough to read the clock. Check back later this week for the entire recap! 


I am linking up with Tricia and Holly again for the Weekly Wrap! Head on over to their pages for more motivation and inspirational women sharing their stories!

Comments

  1. Wow! Congrats on blowing your 5k PR out of the water. Shaving 2 minutes is impressive. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on a new PR and awesome 5k time! The trees in your trail running picture look absolutely gorgeous. Trail running is the best! I wish I did it more :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! I never experienced trail running until we moved to Washington. It is a perfect 'getaway' from daily life!

      Delete
  3. I can only imagine how much work goes into race directing. I think it would be very interesting and rewarding too. Wow! Congrats on a seriously awesome 5k finish time. Good luck with your application to get into Massage Practitioner school. Thanks for linking with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has definitely been an interesting experience so far! I cannot wait until race day to see everything play out. Thank you!

      Delete
  4. Great solid week for you and with everything else you made it fit in!
    I love the first picture looking up to the trees! Awesome perspective! Thanks for linking with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tricia! Life seems to constantly be getting busier. Being a mom, planning a race, training for a marathon, and starting school in the Fall!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

An Open Letter to New Moms

What’s a Mock Cycle?

Weekly Wrap #8