Featured Runner: Augusta Gail


Every runner has a unique story. The idea behind writing these Featured Runner posts is to shine the spotlight on bada** women who can inspire you in a variety of ways, while getting a taste of their training plans, advice, and race day superstitions! You may decide to go on your first run, sign up for a local race, join a running club, or push yourself to new distances. The ladies featured here will range from beginners to half marathoners to trail ultra runners. Without further ado, let’s get to know Augusta Gail, this week’s featured runner!



I am happy to have Augusta as our very first Featured Runner. Her confidence, creativity, and overall awesomeness sets the standards pretty high for the ladies who we will meet in the future! Augusta is a Los Angeles livin' lady, YA fantasy writer, and creepy cute model who manages to juggle all sorts of creative projects while having a passion for running, too! 


 
Name:
Augusta Gail

Age: (optional)
27

Where are you from?
I grew up in Dallas, TX, but now I call Hollywood, CA home!

What sparked your interest to start running?
Oh my gosh I honestly don't really remember.  I feel like came out of the womb running haha.  It’s been something I’ve done for as long as I can remember – it’s truly such a part of who I am.  I do remember that racing really intensified my love of running. I’m soooo competitive, so the thrill of racing really amped up my interest.  But even without racing, running is just something that I have to do.  It keeps me sane and happy and feeling like myself.

Tell us a little about your first race!
My first race was probably when I was around 12 years old.  I remember that summer I joined a track team, and my dad would drive me to the meets (races) every weekend.  I remember competing in the two mile race for the first time – it was around an asphalt black track at 4pm in the middle of July in Texas.  It was probably 100 degrees.  But I remember the thrill of standing on the starting line – that jittery adrenaline coursing from my heart down to the soles of my feet, and I just wanted to run forever.  I can still hear the sound of the starting gun, can still hear the sound of my dad cheering me on.  I don’t remember my time or what place I got, but I do remember feeling like I was flying.

What is your favorite distance to run?
I love a half-marathon!  I think my all time favorite distance to race is a 10k – it’s short enough that you can still go fast, but long enough that it requires some distance stamina (I need to sign up for another one, I haven’t run one in forever!). My dream is to run an ultra marathon though – ideally 100 miles!



When you are not running, what do you enjoy doing?
Snuggling my two Chihuahuas and hanging out with my husband!  And working on creative projects (I’m working on a novel right now)!  Running is always my first and favorite form of working out, but I recently starting boxing and that’s been really fun!

What are your PRs?
Mile PR: 5:11
Half-marathon PR: 1 hour 30 minutes

Do you have any superstitions or special routines before races/long runs?
I always try to get a really good night of sleep – not the night before the race, but the night before the night before.  So two nights before the race?  Haha that sounds confusing, but my high school coach always said that was the most important night to get sleep, and it’s stuck with me.  I also like to eat half a banana and a half of a peanut butter toast before a long race.  That’s always seemed to work for me on a nutritional level!  And I definitely have specific sports bras and shorts that I like to wear specifically for races.

What piece of advice do you have for someone new to running?
Find what you love about running and let that inspire you!  Running should bring you joy, so run in the way that works best for you.  Whether that means running outside or on a treadmill, 10 miles or around the block, training for a race or just jogging for fun, running alone or with a group – there’s no wrong way to run!  Do what makes you happy!


If you would like to bond through the magical world of social media, feel free to connect with Augusta at:  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Open Letter to New Moms

What’s a Mock Cycle?

Weekly Wrap #8