January Miles + Trail Tails

Getting through January was a success all on its own. The first month of 2017 is over and a good indicator of how the rest of the year is going to play out…hopefully. I was able to kick off the year with the Lake Samish Runs race (recap can be found here) and I would like to schedule a race for each month of 2017. Next Saturday is the Fragrance Lake 10k which was my first ever trail race in 2016. I had ZERO clue what I was getting myself into, which was obvious in the methods I had been training. Even though I managed to place 2nd female, I left the race realizing how under prepared I was. This time around, I’ve spent the month pre-race focusing on strength, hills, and steep inclines instead of building up mileage. It is only a 10k which isn’t much distance, but there is a decent amount of elevation gain!

Wk 1: 1-7: 14.39 miles
Wk 2: 8-14: 21.49 miles
Wk 3: 15-21: 20.22 miles
Wk 4: 22-28: 21.98 miles
Wk 5: 29-31: 10.45 miles
Total miles for January: 88.53

Meet Miss Remi (Remington)
January also started my journey of building a relationship with a new running buddy! My trail tales tails now include a female Pit Bull that we took in from a family trying to re-home her.  We weren’t sure of her previous leash walking skills, or lack of, but on our first time out hiking she did great! At 2 ½ years old, Eisley is still riding in the baby carrier on my back, so I cannot deal with a dog pulling me around or behaving unpredictably on the leash. Having a furry friend out in the woods or up on the mountain is very comforting, especially as a female. Our first run involved lots of abrupt stops to sniff trees, bite sticks, and simply pop a squat. This month we are starting six weeks of obedience classes that will help build our verbal commands and leash skills. Woof woof!



OH WAIT, did I mention that I was selected to be a 2017 Nuun Ambassador?!? Nuun is a Seattle based hydration company that believes in clean ingredients, clean sports, and a clean planet. Their products are vegan, gluten free, non-gmo, and the best tasting electrolyte replacement on the block!  Check out their website to learn more and order a few products to try!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Open Letter to New Moms

What’s a Mock Cycle?

Weekly Wrap #4